I have been making my own granola since about mid way through 2014. I have tried different combinations of ingredients, but haven’t really been disappointed. I am sharing one of my new recipes that will allow you to save money and eat healthy. Most if not all of the ingredients in this recipe can be substituted for similar items. This granola can be added to a cereal similar to other popular brands, but much cheaper (here’s looking at you Honey Bunches of Oats). I added the half the granola to a oz. box of Special K Original.
- 4 oz. chopped Pecans
- 3 cups Old fashioned Rolled Oats
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup Toasted Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/3 + 1/4 cups Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1 + 1/2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- Large baking sheet (17.25×11.5×1 in is the size that I used)
- Parchment Paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat oven at 325 °F (163 °C)
- Gather all of the listed dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the first 1/3 cup of coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and honey to the dried ingredients.
- Mix the ingredients until all of the ingredients are wet and stick together. Slowly add the remainder of the coconut oil in order to coat all ingredients.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper. This makes the handling and clean up of the granola much easier.
- Spread the granola mixture over the covered pan evenly to prevent burning.
- Place pan in oven for 30 minutes. Remove the oven from the pan and slowly and carefully stir the granola and spread it evenly on the pan again.
- Replace the granola in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and allow the granola to cool and harden. The longer the granola sets the larger the clumps will be when breaking it up to enjoy or to add to the cereal of your choice. After the granola has cooled, enjoy!